Multiple choice Cells questions
1. To enter or leave a cell, substances
must pass through
- a. a microtubule.
- b. the Golgi apparatus.
- c. a ribosome.
- d. the nucleus.
- e. the plasma membrane.
2. Bacterial cell are prokaryotic; in comparison
to a typical eukaryotic cell they would
- a. be smaller.
- b. have a smaller nucleus.
- c. lack a plasma membrane.
- d. have fewer internal membranous compartments.
- e. have a greater variety of organelles.
3. You would expect a cell with an extensive
Golgi apparatus to
- a. make a lot of ATP.
- b. secrete a lot of material.
- c. move actively.
- d. perform photosynthesis.
- e. store large quantities of food
4. Which of the following correctly matches
an organelle with its function?
- a. mitochondrion . . . photosynthesis
- b. nucleus . . . cellular respiration
- c. ribosome . . . manufacture of lipids
- d. lysosome . . . movement
- e. central vacuole . . . storage
5. Of the following organelles, which group
is involved in manufacturing substances needed by the cell?
- a. lysosome, vacuole, ribosome
- b. ribosome, rough ER, smooth ER
- c. vacuole, rough ER, smooth ER
- d. smooth ER, ribosome, vacuole
- e. rough ER, lysosome, vacuole
6. A cell has mitochondria, ribosomes, smooth
and rough ER, and other parts. Based on this information, it could
- a. a cell from a pine tree.
- b. a grasshopper cell.
- c. a yeast (fungus) cell.
- d. a bacterium.
- e. Actually, it could be any of the above.
7. The electron microscope has been particularly
useful in studying bacteria, because
- a. electrons can penetrate tough bacterial
- b. bacteria are so small.
- c. bacteria move so quickly they are hard
- d. with few organelles present, bacteria
are distinguished by differences in individual macromolecules.
- e. their organelles are small and tightly
8. Cell fractionation is the most appropriate
procedure for preparing ____ for study.
- a. isolated cells which are normally found
tightly attached to neighbouring cells
- b. cells without a functional cytoskeleton
- c. isolated organelles
- d. the basic macromolecules
- e. bone and other similar cells which
are situated within a mineral framework
9. Which of the following clues would tell
you whether a cell is prokaryotic or eukaryotic?
- a. the presence or absence of a rigid
- b. whether or not the cell is partitioned
by internal membranes
- c. the presence or absence of ribosomes
- d. whether or not the cell carries out
- e. whether or not the cell contains DNA
10. Sara would like to film the movement
of chromosomes during cell division. Her best choice for a microscope
would be a
- a. light microscope, because of its resolving
- b. transmission electron microscope, because
of its magnifying power.
- c. scanning electron microscope, because
the specimen is alive.
- d. transmission electron microscope, because
of its great resolving power.
- e. light microscope, because the specimen